Getting back to it after Rhabdo

Yesterday, Wednesday, 6/21, marked my first full workout after spending 4 days in the hospital from rhabdomyolysis. Doctor’s orders were to ramp up slowly.

I think my doctor and I have a different definition of “slowly.”

30 minute AMRAP
20 cal Assault Bike
15 Russian KBS (Rx as 70#, I went with 53#)
30 double unders (supposed to be consecutive… sure)
rest 1 minute
lather, rinse, repeat

Prob didn’t need that last night since that’s what AMRAP means.

Yes, coming back with a 30 minute AMRAP when it’s over 90deg inside the box is probably not my smartest decision. Then again, it’s not my dumbest decision either, so let’s go with it.

I lost my double unders after 17.5 where they were spectacular! Really, I went unbroken every round. During warmups I was flailing around, jumping backwards, getting no more than 2 dubs together. Our resident jump rope expert (literally – she won 17.5 worldwide) asked if I wanted advice. In truth I didn’t want advice, but it’s also smart not to listen. She told me to hold the handles completely in my hands, look forward and slightly down instead of up, and to synch my wrist speed to my jump. I tried a bit, and was able to get to 10 dubs. It was an improvement but not back to where I was before.

WOD – due to a shortage of bikes, I teamed up with a fellow tall guy and silverback. He started on the double unders. Cranked out the first 20cals in about 45 seconds at 85 RPM. Oops. That was too aggressive.

Just tried to hold a reasonable pace. I also focussed on not getting lapped by my teammate. I noticed that I was doing 20 cal per bike, which would lead to a couple of cals extra as the handle kept moving, he was running his session up to the next 20.

First 3 rounds I sucked at double unders. They were definitely NOT consecutive. By the 4th round I was sufficiently tired to relax a bit and knocked out all 30 consecutively. The rest of my rounds were consecutive as well. That felt really good.

I did slow down markedly. At one point I paused before picking up the kettlebell, and I think I zoned out for an easy 30 seconds before realizing it was NOT my rest minute. For the last round I had about 1:30 left after the bike and went non-stop to finish out the round.

9 full rounds.

There is still a long way to go to get back to my pre-Murph, pre-rhabdo, fitness level. There’s even longer to go to get to the Top-200 in the 2018 Open.

But I’m back.

and with dubs!